Our client’s software is widely used by Asset Management companies in South Africa and more recently in the UK, in line with the company’s international expansion strategy. The area where their software is mostly used is within the research and investment process. The company has a young and dynamic team of skilled Data Engineers who assist clients from both a support and project perspective. In both cases it involves interacting with the software (fundamentally a toolkit) which allows them to build customised solutions and models for clients based on their specific and unique data requirements.
This is an exciting opportunity for a highly analytical person with a knack for data analysis. Involving manipulation, modelling and being responsible for the understanding of inter-dependencies between various data sources and business processes involving data flow. The Data Engineer will also be involved in designing and building data management solutions. There will also be elements of integrating with data science tools allowing business users to visualise their data.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The configuration and implementation of the company at our various clients.
- Understand the business requirements of the clients, the focus being the research and investment process of these Asset Managers.
- Construct end to end data service solutions
- Liaise and Interface with clients in a support role, providing 2nd Tier support and enhancement services
- Understand and manage the client’s data requirements, the data being specific to the financial markets.
- Contribute towards a team that develops, constructs, tests and maintains architectures (such as data bases and large-scale processing systems)
- Ensure data architecture will support the requirements of the client’s business
- Employ a variety of languages and tools (e.g. scripting languages) to marry systems together
- Recommend ways to improve data reliability, efficiency and quality
- Employ sophisticated analytics and statistical methods to prepare data for use in prescriptive modelling
- Automate work by using process flow tools
- Provide feedback to the Development team regarding new functionality and issue logging
- Creation of user interfaces allowing users to upload their own data
- Data analysis, modelling and surfacing
- Data cleaning / Integrity checking
- Experience of creating reports using Excel or equivalent
- SQL, SSIS, database scripting (stored procedures, user defined functions, queries, triggers)
- Iterative testing including debugging and refactoring
- Constructing data queries by combining multiple data sources
- Present information using data visualization techniques (such as QlikView, PowerBI and Tableau)
- Experience of consuming APIs (advantageous)
- Some experience in a programming language (advantageous)
- Any sort of ETL or Data Warehousing knowledge (advantageous)
- Statistical languages (such as R and Matlab) (advantageous)
- Tertiary degree in BSc Computer Science, B.IT or Informatics related degrees, Mathematics, Applied
- Mathematics, Actuarial Science or an Engineering degree.
- Understanding and working experience in data integration and transformation
- A passion to learn and extend knowledge outside of the work sphere
- Good at problem solving (core to the role)
- The ability to self-manage and self-motivate
- The ability to communicate clearly with clients and the team
- Be a Team player
- Be adaptable
- Be able to efficiently and effectively plan and structure tasks
- Execute assignments against deadlines
- Thrive in an agile environment